Friday, October 11, 2013

She's Come Undone ...and maybe me too, just a little.

When I heard that Book-It Theatre was performing Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone, I knew I had to get tickets. I remember reading this book years ago and feeling really connected with Dolores Price, the main character. Sometimes a book will come along that really grabs me and this was one of them. I won't ruin the story for you, but basically you need to read it.


Since my sister Jackie wasn't able to go with me, sad face, I asked Joel if he wouldn't mind tagging along. Being the wonderful, loving husband he is, he said sure. Who knows if he said yes because he was actually interested in seeing a play, if he actually enjoys attending Book-It, or if he just knew it would make me happy... either way, I had a date. When I looked up tickets, it just so happened that Book-It was selling tickets to the Thursday night performance for $10. That's right, on 10/10 the tickets were only $10. Done and Done. So even though Thursday was our anniversary, we did something that clearly I would get the most enjoyment from. What a guy, right?!


I don't know why, but I just loved these little colored balls on a string... loved them.
I tried to make it up to Joel by picking a Thai restaurant for dinner before the show. That guy has a love for anything Asian, when it comes to his dinner plate. We went to Thai Heaven in Queen Anne, because well, when we were first dating we ate dinner here before seeing the Pacific Northwest Ballet perform the Nutcracker. That night, Joel finally got Thai food so spicy hot that he could not finish his plate. Not only does he love Thai food, but he loves it spicy. To the point of sweating and turning colors, people. So I knew it was just the spot for Thursday night.

Starters... um yes. Of course. I'm celebrating aren't I?!
Not very original order Pad Thai, I know, but it just sounded so good. And it was.
Pad Se Ew - A favorite of Joel's
Of course we finished off our dinner with coconut ice cream. So freaking fantastic.
After dinner we walked the few blocks to the theater and enjoyed a great show (I highly recommend checking it out). Joel even said he enjoyed himself. Once again, who knows if he really enjoyed himself, if he just had a decent amount of enjoyment or if he was just being nice to me, again. I must have told him a million times that night that I felt bad for scheduling something on our anniversary that was clearly for me alone, but he was really nice about the whole thing and said really nice, lovey-dovey stuff that I won't make you jealous with sick with.

A terrible photo I know. But it was dark in there. Also I meant to get another one after the show, but forgot because I was too busy telling Joel how he is the over-moon, wonderfully good to me.
So even though we didn't necessarily go out to eat and see a play in the name of celebrating our anniversary, we did have a wonderful evening together, where we reminisced about our dating years, we toasted to us, (with a Mai Tai - a reminder of our honeymoon in Hawaii where we drank way more than our fair share of those bad boys), and I was reminded of what a truly wonderful husband I have.

Life is so good.

XOJO

2 comments:

  1. "I Know This Much Is True"! That's the book I was trying to think of earlier! Glad you guys had a good night celebrating. :-)

    Sarah @ Life As Always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously what a guy! I'm not into that kind of thing, but even if I was there would be no way I could even drag my husband to it! haha oh well

    ReplyDelete