Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book Review: May The Road Rise Up to Meet You

Image from Bing Image Search
I just finished reading Peter Troy's May the Road Rise Up to Meet You for my office book club. I read the entire 386 pages in four days, I just couldn't put the book down. This is the fictional story of four very different people, from very different backgrounds and how their lives become intertwined.  Ethan takes us on a journey from the Irish Famine to the battle fields of the Civil War. Marcella, a young society girl from Spain, discovers her true calling and discovers what she is willing to sacrifice to follow her heart. Mary and Micah are slaves in the deep south, who risk everything for the freedom they so desire.

I love it when a book just pulls you in and makes you feel as though you can hear the characters talking to you. The dialect and distinctive voice of each character, made me feel as though I was there, listening to the conversations, rather than reading static words on a page. At first I wanted to read Ethan's story and was a bit disappointment when the author switched to another character. But it didn't long for to me enjoy all the characters, for their own role in the story as well as how eventually they all became intertwined.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.  I am so glad that it was suggested for book club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment