Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dinner: Salmon and Caprese Salad

After a long day of running errands and preparing for the upcoming work week, Joel and I decided on a simple, yet delicious dinner. I started with two salmon fillets which I covered with a mix of freshly squeezeed lemon, fresh dill, and butter. With the fillets in the oven at 400* until they reach an internal temperature of 145*, I started on our salad. I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to try it for myself. I bought nice big beefsteak tomatoes and placed each tomato over a bed of baby spinach. I then cut 1/4" thick slices into the tomatoes, stopping about a 1/4" from the bottom of the tomato. Between the slices of tomato I added a piece of mozzarella cheese and a fresh basil leaf or two. I then drizzled a bit of balsamic vinegar over the top, letting it drip down between each tomato slice. This was amazing! The balsamic vinegar was able to add flavor to the tomato, mozzarella cheese and the basil leaves, then served as dressing for the spinach leaves. Complemented with fresh salmon, it was the perfect healthy and light dinner!



For desert, Joel decided on a bowl of fresh strawberries and from-scratch whipped cream! What a perfect ending to a perfect day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh that tomato basil salad looks so, so good! Must try immediately...

    ReplyDelete