Friday, August 1, 2008

Now it is summer...

Summer quarter ended yesterday! Alright!

It was actually one of my best quarters at Western. I enjoyed my Comm 498 class, maybe one of my favorites overall. I've enrolled in this class before (but due to an illness had to drop out that quarter) and I definitely say that the group of students directly correlates to the amount of fun that class can be. Ethics tend to remind me of rhetoric, in the sense that there are dictionary terms for the concepts, but they are truly hard to define. During discussion of ethics, it is hard not to fall prey to violating an ethical code, even when you are being ethical. Just as when you are trying to define rhetoric, it is very easy to employ rhetoric. I love thinking about things like this. When the path becomes circular and complicated, but at the same time is straight and narrow. I love conversations and discussion when there are so many points of view which are just as correct as the next, and justifications can be made all. To challenge yourself to discover why you truly believe what you do. Man, is the communication department just right for me.

On the other hand, I love how all my Communication courses mix so well with all of my Sociology course too. It is interesting to examine how society has constructed itself, while also examining how we communicate with each other changes. There is a definite correlation between the two. What am I going to do when I am not in school anymore. Really, as much as I hate the homework, or the lectures that never end, or the nights spent writing papers. But I will miss the discussions, the people, the topics, the option to sleep in, and the option to leave when I want.

But I am excited to get back to work. I love my job. Talk about a challenge. Who knew I could write an entire Fall Protection Work Plan and Accident Protection Work Plan, and Respiratory Protection Work Plan, and Employee Safety Manual and Employee Manual that would stand up to legal criticism. Yahoo. I love going to conferences, consolation meetings with RAR, I like working on new plans and drawing up the as built. I am getting pretty good at it too. I am looking forward to finally having the time to get my three page to-do list knocked down.

Well, I guess I should get the day started! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment