Friday, April 25, 2008

Thrilled!

I am really excited. I have been asked to write a monthly article to appear in the local newsletter for the Building Industry Association of Whatcom County (BIAWC)! I have also been asked to write a second article for the Master Remodelers Council, a division of the BIAWC. I am really excited about this opportunity. I never thought I would be a published a columnist at 23. I am exaggerating here! :)

I am not sure if Dell, the current BIAWC president and a good friend of Charlie's was supposed to write the article, but he asked Charlie to come up with one, so of course it got pushed onto me. I was excited to write the article. It was something different than writting a safety plan, or an employee manual, or entering bills into Quick Books. I was asked to write an article on why remodelers/contractors should be charging for an estimate. I did some research (about a day and half) in the magazines we get, and organizations websites (like BIAWC and the nation wide BIA website) and summarised it all into a page long explanation of the benefits of charging clients for an estimate. I think it turned out very well. I was nervous to show Charlie, but he really liked it. Then I emailed it off to Diana at the BIAWC and she liked it so much that she asked if I would write for them all the time. She was amazed how quickly I was able to come up with a article that was, (and I quote), "so professional"!

I also found out that I get a $1 raise today! Oh boy! And I am eligible for vacation pay! Yippee. What a great day this is turning out to be. Tonight, I am driving to Redmond to pick up Joel (who will be starting his first day as a Full-Time Microsoft Employee on Monday), then on to Kent to have dinner with Anna and Robert. Then the four of us are heading off to Puyallup to party it up at Waynes (one of the best bars south of Bham). Then on Saturday it is back to Bellingham to get the apartment cleaned up for Julie (who will be watching the bunnies), get the bunnies all set to be without their Momma, and finish any forgotten loose ends. Then around 6am on Sunday, it is off to North Carolina for the next week.

Well, I better get back to work. Lots to take care of before the big boss man and I are out of the office for a week. Audios.

No comments:

Post a Comment